I was terribly excited about making muffins. If you had asked me how much I was looking forward to making muffins I would have responded so enthusiastically that you might have thought you'd asked me the wrong question. The reason for my eagerness was twofold; firstly I had never made muffins before and secondly I had some succulent redcurrants at my disposal.
It was all going so well until I realised I had no muffin cases. Not to worry though as I had cupcake cases coming out of my ears. I was under the impression that the two weren't too dissimilar but the sides of the cupcake cases would not come up high enough in the muffin tin. I could have gone out to get some muffin cases but frankly I couldn't be bothered and I wanted to sink my teeth into freshly baked cake as soon as possible. Fortunately I had some silicone cases I could use.
You will need:
1 punnet redcurrants
50g white chocolate
2 eggs, beaten
75g caster sugar
100g butter, melted
275g self raising flour
Remove the redcurrants from their stalks. It's very easy if you pull down the stalk in the right direction; potentially messy if you don't as redcurrants could ricochet in all directions. Chop the chocolate into small pieces. I used pretty standard white chocolate for this as I wanted chewiness rather than an overtly creamy flavour.
Mix together the eggs, sugar, milk and butter then sift in the flour. Apparently it should only take something like eight stirs maximum to get the flour mixed in when making muffins. I figured that because I was actually making cupcakes I would mix lightly but sufficiently. Mix in the redcurrants and white chocolate.
Put the mixture into the cases. I've seen a few novel ways of doing this my favourite being using an ice cream scoop but I stick to two teaspoons, it works every time and you have some left to lick off afterwards. Bake in a preheated oven at 190C for 25-30 minutes.
Considering I set out to make muffins and ended up making cupcakes they were a great success. The redcurrants burst and their wonderful red juices spilt through and over the tops of the cakes. The white chocolate turned almost toffee like and caramelised which contrasted with the tart berries. This mixture made 18 cupcakes so even after eating plenty there were still some left for the week. Next time I will ensure I have muffin cases because technically I am still yet to make them.